Thursday, May 04, 2006

My first job a trip down memory lane

What was your first job? Today we are going to blog about our first, actual paycheck, job. Was it good bad or just ugly? What was it like, did you love it or hate it, do you miss it? Kinda like a trip down memory lane. This is a blogger challenge set up by my friend Beth on Scrapjazz. Actually I should call it a trip down Marshall Lane because that is where I had my first job. I had volunteered at Marshall Lane Manor when I was a young teenager because I so wanted to work there as a nursing assistant and they hired me when I turned sixteen. I loved my first job totally loved it. It was a physch nursing home and we had a variety of patients all of which I loved especially Pinky. Pinky was a little man of short statureand downs syndrome with a loving heart made of gold. Pinky couldnt verbalize much but his facial expressions and his hugs said it all. I was only sixteen and could remember coming home so exhausted I would be in bed taking a nap whenever I could lol.I can totally remember getting my first paycheck and the sense in pride I took in it. It wasnt much back in the day but I was on top of the world. I went and opened up my first bank account and deposited some of it and then went and bought everyone in my family a small gift because I could with my own money.I had to walk to work and back home because back then if you wanted something you worked to earn it and my parents werent just going to hand me a car or let me use the family car so I eventually saved enough and bought my own used car a red Vega baby woo hoo thought it looked sporty lol when I was nineteen. My job taught me to know what responsibility is and set me on a career path of caring for others which I find rewarding even to this day twenty nine years later.

1 comment:

Broken Beth said...

Great job with the thursday blogger!